Friday, October 24, 2008

Sales of Steel in Only 30 Minutes a Day!!

In his Little Red Book of Selling, Jeffrey Gitomer states that he makes sure to write for half an hour every morning before his actual workday starts. He says that this practice will do wonders for your career more than anything else. Reading this a couple of weeks ago was actually the impetus that drove me to create People Sales. I’ll explain.

I read the Little Red Book of Selling recently, and while it has a lot of repetition of a few key ideas (like most business books seem to), the idea of making yourself sit down and write about what you do for half an hour each morning struck me as something incredibly powerful. So I decided to try it. I woke up thirty minutes early each morning for a week, and after I showered, shaved, got dressed, and fixed my more-precious-by-the-year hair, I sat down in front of my laptop and did nothing but write about sales. And salespeople. And sales-related things. And sales-related things about salespeople. Et cetera.

After a week I had a fair amount of content that was doing nothing but taking up space on my hard drive. I’ve been following a number of career-related blogs for over a year now, and it seems everyone who consistently contributes content to a blog (and makes sure to contribute to others’ blogs as well) sees increased success in their field. Since I already spend all day countering people’s negative perceptions of sales pros by providing them with unconventionally personal service, I decided it would be great to share my ideas with others, and hopefully start a discussion about it. Thus, People Sales was born.

So far, writing for 30 minutes every morning seems to be having a profoundly positive effect on my sales performance, my writing skills, my creativity, and definitely my network. We’ll see where this leads. Does anyone else out there have any structured writing practices, or really any kind of regular activity they use to increase success? I’d like to know what others are doing everyday.

No comments: